Go to links

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Support Our Troops?

Should we support our troops? Even many who are opposed to the Iraq war have been answering this question in the affirmative, but perhaps the answer is not a slam-dunk "yes".

A couple of articles on the web have recently addressed this question anew. In the L. A. Times (http://fairuse.100webcustomers.com/news2/latimes3v.htm), Joel Stein writes,

I do sympathize with people who joined up to protect our country, especially after 9/11, and were tricked into fighting in Iraq. I get mad when I'm tricked into clicking on a pop-up ad, so I can only imagine how they feel.

But when you volunteer for the U.S. military, you pretty much know you're not going to be fending off invasions from Mexico and Canada. So you're willingly signing up to be a fighting tool of American imperialism, for better or worse. Sometimes you get lucky and get to fight ethnic genocide in Kosovo, but other times it's Vietnam.


On LewRockwell.com (http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig7/dehope1.html), John DeHope writes,

The troops want to kill people, and I want them to not. They want to overthrow other people’s governments, and I want them to mind their own business. They want to be career soldiers, and I want them to get real jobs. They want a government paycheck, and I want them to work in private industry. Is it any wonder that I don’t support the troops? Do you?

Should we support our troops? Perhaps the correct answer is, "it all depends on what they are doing". Should we support our troops if they are waging a war of aggression? Doesn't the question answer itself?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home